Here's the situation, folks...
One of our closest and oldest friends is getting married in the south of France. The wedding was previously put on hold due to the fact that the groom's father had a triple bypass and a valve replacement. However, the surgery went surprisingly well and the wedding is now back on. BossLady and I were able to book some last-minute flights and we're scheduled to take off in a couple weeks. Our whole trip will be about 6 days long.
But our dilemna involves the Peanut. We're seriously struggling with the decision on whether to bring her or not. Of course, we want to bring her. Being away from her for 6 days is going to kill us. I have a hard enough time being away from her when I'm gone on an overnight business trip. My wife literally starts tearing up just at the thought of being away from her for so long.
But on the other hand, it's not going to be easy with the baby. We don't have direct flights. We've got a few long layovers. And it's a safe bet that the Peanut's sleep schedule would be seriously screwed up by the whole travel ordeal. We're afraid that by the time she finally gets adjusted to the new time zone and reverts back to her usual schedule, it's going to be time for us to pack up and leave again. Furthermore, the hotel we're staying at doesn't have babysitters or nanny services. So we'd have to scramble and figure out a solution for some child care help as well.
If we go to France without her, she'll be in good hands. My parents will stay at our place and take care of her. Furthermore, the nanny will still be around to help out. And the Peanut can maintain her normal routine and schedule. She'll be fine. We're not worried about her. It's her parents that are going to be a mess!
Do any of you have any ideas or experiences similar to this? How did you reach a decision? Are there any other considerations that we're missing? Is it selfish of us to bring her even though it would be pretty disruptive for all of us? The Peanut is in such a good groove right now that any major disruptions to her schedule tend to wreak havoc. If the trip were longer, it would be a no-brainer. We'd definitely bring her. But due to the short nature of the trip and all the crazy time-zone changes, we're at a loss on how to handle the situation. That's why, as always, I respectfully turn to all of you and your collective parenting wisdom.
A humble newbie awaits your advice...